You retain full copyright and credit. I take no percentage of sales or royalties.
Our agreement is assured by a simple contract and a nondisclosure agreement. Payment arrangements.
Of 163 books (nonfiction, memoirs, novels)
- 13 written/ghostwritten (nonfiction, memoirs, narrative nonfiction, true stories, novels, screenplays)
- 30 developmental editing
- 59 heavy edited (e.g., once-through development, or half-done)
- 61 line-content edited
Which of the following best fits your book?
ONE. You have what you feel is a completed manuscript, but you recognize that it is raw, undeveloped, and needs reorganization.
- You want it shaped and completed on computer. This is full polish and creative writing, with heavy editing and development.
- This is ghostwriting, but when I have your completed manuscript (and not doing research or interviews), I do this first level at a lower rate of $50/hour.
- Averages 400-600 words/hour, based on your original word count. (nonfiction may be faster than fiction, depending on quality and organization of the original writing) (once-through, or not full polish, averages twice the words-per-hour)
TWO. (1) Expand and finish your incomplete manuscript (e.g., you have 100 pages or 27,000 words, testimonials below, and you provide all materials). Or (2) Convert your lecture tapes into a book. Each of these is $10,000* (without research and interviews, and you provide all materials).
THREE. Compile your several different documents into a book. $11,000*
have an incomplete first draft, which requires interviewing and
possibly research for additional content needed, such as for your
personal story. $13,750*
FIVE. Completely write your nonfiction book or memoir, from scratch, with interviews and research: $16,500*
- When you provide all materials (including what I ask for during the work process), the time averages 200 hours. When I need to add research and/or interviews, the work time increases to an average of 250 or 300 hours.
- * Option #2 - If over 200 hours, charged at $50/hour.
- * Option #3 - If over 200 hours, charged at $55/hour (more creatively involved).
- * Option #4 - If over 250 hours, charged at $55/hour (more creatively involved).
- * Option #5 includes research and interviews. If the project requires going over 300 hours, additional time $55/hour.
- If any out-of-pocket expenses, travel costs and time, these would be additional charges.
- Additional services may include: copywriting, eBook layout, production support, help with agents and publishers
- Brief description, nature of book or project
- Your bio/experience/credentials on the topic (1 paragraph)
- Materials available to me
- If I research and/or travel (or you provide all materials)
Then we arrange a consultation.
2012 - William H. Lee, M.D. - Over 50, Feeling 30! How bioidentical hormones bring your body back - “You did a great job. Everyone comments it's an easy read, meaning they appreciate that it is in 'layman's language'. You were a stickler for that.... A special thanks to Charol, my book doctor. She organized my extensive materials, edited with great enthusiasm, and motivated me with new ideas that have brought a greater fullness to this book for all who are seeking better health... This book would not have gotten into print without her knowledgeable assistance.” Started with author's unfinished draft. With his participation and additions (via email), expanded double original length (with his continued submitted materials). Included organization, titles, and writing new copy. (finished 300 pages, from original 100, 200 hours)
Janis A. Di Ciacco, Ph.D. - The Colors of Grief - “Writing this book in a cohesive manner could not have been achieved without the objective and insightful work of my editor, Charol Messenger, who worked with diligence and integrity. Because of her creative formatting and revisions, the readers will find the information easy to digest.” Nonfiction therapeutic guide. Started with author's unfinished draft. Expanded, reconstructed, created titles, wrote new copy. (finished 175 pages, from original 100, 200 hours)